On today’s episode of the podcast we have a unique birth story episode from Kalishia. Warning: This episode includes pregnancy loss.
Kalishia had a transabdominal cerclage and a successful full term pregnancy after experiencing a miscarriage at 16 weeks and then a stillbirth at 21 weeks. A cerclage is a stitch that is placed around the cervix (the opening to the uterus) which keeps the cervix closed. It’s something we do for women who have a weakened cervix for whatever reason, whether from prior surgery or genetics. It’s not common and happens in 2-3% of pregnancies.
In this episode, Kalishia walks us through her experience. This episode is a bit longer because you really have to understand her first two pregnancies to understand the 3rd.
In this Episode, You’ll Learn About:
- What Kalishia experienced losing a pregnancy at 16 weeks
- What a transvaginal cerclage is and why she received one during her second pregnancy
- How Kalishia kept a careful eye out for changes and communicated quickly and clearly with her healthcare providers
- How Kalishia dealt with her second pregnancy being stillborn
- How difficult it can be to decide what course to take in the wake of pregnancy loss
- How Kalishia found hope in transabdominal cerclage online forums
- What made her third pregnancy a “perfect pregnancy”
- How important it can be to seek therapy or join a support group in response to pregnancy loss
- Why it isn’t constructive to tell someone who has suffered pregnancy loss what they should have done differently
Links Mentioned in the Episode
Subscribe and Review
Have you subscribed to the podcast yet? If you haven't, you definitely need to! I don't want you to miss a thing and I have so much amazing content for you, mama to be! You can subscribe in Apple Podcasts by clicking here or in Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play or wherever you get your podcasts.
And if you loved this episode, I would absolutely love it if you'd take a few moments to leave me an honest review on Apple Podcasts. The reviews help other pregnant mamas to find my podcast and I just really love to check them out. Click here to head over to the reviews, select "Ratings and Reviews" and "Write a Review" and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast was, or what you found most helpful.
Come Join Me On Instagram
I want this podcast to be more than a one sided conversation. Join me on Instagram where we can connect outside of the show! Through my posts, videos, and stories, you'll get even more helpful tips to ensure you have a beautiful pregnancy and birth. You can find me on Instagram @drnicolerankins. I'll see you there!
Share with Friends