Lauren is a wife, mom of two, and writer living in Nashville, TN. After her first pregnancy ended in miscarriage, Lauren was determined to learn everything she could about the female body and how it creates and births babies. She has since had two healthy pregnancies and two (very different) pain medication free births where she used nitrous oxide to manage pain in different ways. Lauren hopes that by sharing her stories she can help other women feel empowered to walk into birth with every ounce of confidence in the choices they will make along the way.
Lauren and I have a great conversation about both of her unmedicated births so this episode is a little longer; I wanted to discuss both so you can see how birth can unfold differently even for the same person. She had a lot of challenges to overcome during pregnancy and birth (including a tornado!) and it’s important to see what can happen when you’re really intentional about preparing for your birth.
In this Episode, You’ll Learn About:
- How Lauren’s two births differed greatly despite both being unmedicated and both being so close in proximity
- How Lauren’s grief for her miscarriage intersected with the joy of a new pregnancy
- How she overcame myriad crises by focusing on celebrating her pregnancy
- Why even an unmedicated birth requires thorough planning
- How nitrous oxide helped Lauren in different ways during both births
- How Lauren worked with her healthcare team to be home for as much of her labor as possible
- How a tub helped her feel more comfortable during both births
- What an “asynclitic” birth is and how it may have caused prodromal labor in her second birth
- What made both births fulfilling even though they were so different
Links Mentioned in the Episode
Subscribe and Review
Have you subscribed to the podcast yet? If you haven't, you definitely need to! I don't want you to miss a thing and I have so much amazing content for you, mama to be! You can subscribe in Apple Podcasts by clicking here or in Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play or wherever you get your podcasts.
And if you loved this episode, I would absolutely love it if you'd take a few moments to leave me an honest review on Apple Podcasts. The reviews help other pregnant mamas to find my podcast and I just really love to check them out. Click here to head over to the reviews, select "Ratings and Reviews" and "Write a Review" and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast was, or what you found most helpful.
Come Join Me On Instagram
I want this podcast to be more than a one sided conversation. Join me on Instagram where we can connect outside of the show! Through my posts, videos, and stories, you'll get even more helpful tips to ensure you have a beautiful pregnancy and birth. You can find me on Instagram @drnicolerankins. I'll see you there!
Share with Friends