This is a birth story episode that really warmed my heart. Tiffany used knowledge to overcome fears around being a woman of color getting pregnant and giving birth. As someone who researches everything, she knew she needed to be prepared with information to go through the birth process, especially as a first time mom. Tiffany says “Finding Dr. Rankins, a Black woman like myself, gave me the courage to face birth and pregnancy head on. Most importantly, I was empowered to advocate for myself because I had the knowledge I needed to do so.”
A lot of the things she talks about are really problems ALL women can face, regardless of race. The medical system can take away the power women have over what happens to their own bodies. Education is one of the most powerful tools you can have at your disposal to ensure you get the care you need. Tiffany’s experience with The Birth Preparation Course helped her to trust her own body and have a beautiful birth.
In this Episode, You’ll Learn About:
- What made Tiffany apprehensive about getting pregnant and giving birth
- What her pregnancy was like including some uncomfortable encounters
- How the birth prep course helped her prepare for her birth
- How an experience of losing consciousness and vomiting influenced her birth
- How she was able to have beauty in her birth even though it didn’t go exactly as planned
- Why she had to stop breastfeeding and how she handled the feelings that came along with that difficult decision
- How doctors treated her differently depending on whether her husband accompanied her to appointments
Links Mentioned in the Episode
Subscribe and Review
Have you subscribed to the podcast yet? If you haven't, you definitely need to! I don't want you to miss a thing and I have so much amazing content for you, mama to be! You can subscribe in Apple Podcasts by clicking here or in Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play or wherever you get your podcasts.
And if you loved this episode, I would absolutely love it if you'd take a few moments to leave me an honest review on Apple Podcasts. The reviews help other pregnant mamas to find my podcast and I just really love to check them out. Click here to head over to the reviews, select "Ratings and Reviews" and "Write a Review" and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast was, or what you found most helpful.
Come Join Me On Instagram
I want this podcast to be more than a one sided conversation. Join me on Instagram where we can connect outside of the show! Through my posts, videos, and stories, you'll get even more helpful tips to ensure you have a beautiful pregnancy and birth. You can find me on Instagram @drnicolerankins. I'll see you there!
Share with Friends